I have read on several blogs from pro-lifers who were able to attend the March for Life - how the words of encouragement they had received in the past from President Bush was sorely missed.
Last year Bush had told the group: "We aspire to build a society where each one of us is welcomed in life and protected in law. We haven't arrived, but we are making progress. This America is nurtured by people like you, who speak up for the weak and the innocent. This America is the destiny of a people whose founding document speaks of the right to life that is a gift of our Creator, not a grant of the state."
Video Clip of Bush's speech
Because Obama was invited, but choose to not participate, the March for Life officials posted a challenge for Obama on the Internet:
LifeHQ.org is organizing a new plan to bring all pro-lifers together.
"As a candidate, President-Elect Obama made two important campaign promises: first, that he will be president of all of the people, and also that he will make change. Then, as president of all the people, which includes preborn humans, he must educate himself about the evils over-flowing our American culture from Roe v. Wade," the challenge said.
"They are the evils of denying worth to a whole class of innocent preborn humans. They are the evils of denying protection of the unalienable right to life of preborn humans in existence at fertilization. They are the same evils which America suffered by having to put down slavery and the holocaust."
The campaign said Obama must learn that on his inauguration day alone an estimated 3,000 pregnant mothers were "brutalized physically and emotionally by surgical abortion, and 3,000 innocent preborn human boys and girls … killed intentionally."
The challenge states to be president "of all of the people":
- "He must watch the evil deed of a surgical abortion to know what it looks like to pull off the head, arms and legs of a preborn human – there is a commercial killing site within a few blocks of the White House.
- "He must learn about abortion evil by talking with suffering post-abortion mothers and fathers.
- "He must talk with an adult who survived the violations of abortion.
- "He must learn about the love and work of selfless pro-lifers who provide free services for pregnant mothers.
- "He must join with us volunteer March for Life defenders who stand up for change which overturns Roe vs. Wade because we cannot tolerate that our beloved country continues to participate in the intentional genocide of an estimated 50,000,000 innocent preborn human boys and girls since Roe v. Wade." .....
The organization said in its statement, "President-Elect Obama must learn that no one owns the right to life of another human in existence at fertilization because we Americans are governed by self-evident truths 'that all Men are created equal ... endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life . . .'"
The explanation said a pregnant mother and/or her preborn child could die in trauma, "but no one may intentionally kill either innocent born or preborn human to save the life of the other. Abortion is never therapy." ...
"Abortion evil in America is error which officials and citizenry of both church and state have a duty to stop and can unite to stop. The dreadful killing goes on because abortionists and media keep the innocent blood of preborns out-of-sight, which keeps many Americans so passive to the evil of killing that they tolerate or even support a choice to murder preborns," she told Obama. ...
(excerpts from: World Net Daily)
Sean O'Hare, a spokesman for the LifeHQ.org campaign, told WND the plan is to bring together people who want to defend the right to life in the U.S.
"It's extremely vital that we coordinate all of our resources and work together," he said. "Between [the pro-abortion Freedom of Choice Act] and a lot of other measures, they could undo the progress of the last 36 years."
The program includes a coordinated effort among participants in the annual March for Life in the face of Obama's stated plans to abolish all state and local restrictions on abortion and to demand that U.S. taxpayers pay for abortions around the globe.
The new program by LifeHQ.org urges March for Life participants to send a text message that will add them to a database of activists in attendance, officials said.
A second part of the campaign will allow people who could not attend to join the same effort.
"By the end of next week we anticipate having 500,000 pro-life activists in our database," the organization announced. LifeHQ.org said the information will allow the leveraging "that grassroots power to organize and raise money for pro-life causes on a continual and project-based basis."
Maybe you're like me - I've always been pro-life, always have voted pro-life - but wondering what I can do to further help these women and unborn babies? I came across a blog from a link when I was on facebook: 50 Ways to Help Unborn Babies & Their Moms
Simple ideas such as: educating yourself, becoming personally involved, letter writing, personal conversations, visuals and advertising, becoming involved politically, influencing your church, etc. were listed
Here are some ideas listed below - for the full list see the site:
50 Ways to Help Unborn Babies & Their Moms (Part I)
50 Ways to Help Unborn Babies & Their Moms (Part II)
Educating Yourself and Others
- Become thoroughly informed about the abortion issue.
- Talk to your friends, neighbors and coworkers.
- Volunteer your services as a pro-life speaker.
- Promote discussion of abortion in internet chat rooms.
- Students: write papers, make speeches, and start a campus prlife group.
- Display attractive pro-life posters and information at your office or shop.
Direct Personal Involvement
- Open your home to a pregnant girl.
- Open your home to an “unwanted” child for foster care or adoption.
- Volunteer time with organizations that help the marginalized. Alcorn states that “personal care is the most basic pro-life activity.”
- Establish a pregnancy counseling and abortion alternative service.
- Donate materials & money to pregnancy centers, Birthright, Bethany Christian Services and other pro-life groups.
- Teach your children and other young people how to say no to premarital sex.
- Write to representatives and others in government at local, state, and national levels. Be respectful, legible, straightforward, brief and non-defensive. Enclose attractive pro-life literature. The more personal your letter, the better.
- Personally phone or set up a meeting with your representatives to share your views on abortion. Groups of three are most effective. If possible include a pro-life doctor or other professional.
- Draft, circulate, and sign petitions for pro-life ballot measures, school board members, and so on.
- Run for political office, school board, or precinct chairman. Or stand by other pro-life candidates with your time and money. Churches and pro-life groups should identify and support character-qualified, knowledgeable, and skilled candidates.
- Help a bright young pro-lifer through law school. Challenge him or her to set a goal of becoming a judge. Encourage pro-lifers to enter the medical or political fields as well.