at the inauguration:
"The life issues per se were only alluded to once yesterday-- a mindless aside about how "We will restore science to its rightful place," a thinly-veiled jibe at President Bush's policy on embryonic stem cells."
Despite campaigning on the rhetoric of wanting to reduce abortions, Obama will make one of his first actions promoting them globally. Obama's plans starting day 1:
Obama Officials Confirm He Will Fund Foreign Abortions Starting Wednesday
"Officials with the incoming administration of Barack Obama have confirmed that he will indeed overturn a pro-life policy of President Bush on his first day in office. Despite campaigning on the rhetoric of wanting to reduce abortions, Obama will make one of his first actions promoting them globally. ...
While U.S. law prohibits funding abortions directly, Bush's Mexico City Policy expands the law by also prohibiting the funding of pro-abortion groups that either do abortions overseas or lobby pro-life governments to sacrifice their abortion limits. ......
The capital publication Congressional Quarterly reports that top Washington officials tell it that the incoming president will reverse the pro-life measure on his first day as president, on Wednesday. When Obama overturns the limits on global abortions, he will do so over the objections of dozens of members of Congress. ...."So, a president who not long ago told the American people that he wanted to reduce the number of abortions, is already effectively promoting the increased use of abortion as a means of population control," Johnson added. President Reagan first put the Mexico City Policy in place and it is named for a population conference that took place in the Mexican capital in 1984 when he introduced it. President George H.W. Bush continued the pro-life policy, President Clinton overturned it, and President George W. Bush kept it for eight years and threatened to veto any Congressional spending bill reversing it."
Appendix - Obama on Abortion - from Prolife Blogs
1. Sanctity of Life: When asked when a baby is entitled to human rights Obama responded that the question was above his pay grade. Obama would recommend abortion for his daughters if they got pregnant because he wouldn't want them to be "punished with a baby."
2. Ratings: Obama is rated 0% by the The National Right to Life Committee. Obama is rated 100% by NARAL.
3. Legislation: Obama is against "conscience-clauses" for pro-life doctors who refuse to do abortions. Obama voted NO on notifying parents of minors who get out-of-state abortions. Obama voted NO on prohibiting minors crossing state lines for abortion.
4. Destructive Embryonic Stem Cell Research: Obama voted YES on expanding research to more embryonic stem cell lines. Obama supports the killing of human embryos to obtain their stem cells. Obama has signaled that he intends to reverse Bush's controversial limit on federal funding of embryonic stem cell research,
5. Funding Abortion: Obama wants to force taxpayers (and insurance companies) to pay for abortions - supports legislation that would repeal the Hyde Amendment which protects pro-life citizens from having to pay for abortions that are not necessary to save the life of the mother and are not the result of rape or incest.
6. Partial Birth Abortion: Obama voted against banning the brutal practice of partial-birth abortion.
7. Born Alive Infant Protection Act: Barack Obama voted against and blocked legislation that would have protected infants who were born alive following an unsuccessful abortion (he took a leadership role to kill it). Then he misrepresented his record. Obama called Gianna Jessen, an abortion survivor, a despicable liar after being presented with the truth about his failure to protect babies born alive.
8. Freedom of Choice Act: Barack Obama co-sponsored and supports the Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA), a radical legislative attempt to enshrine abortion-on-demand into American law, to sweep aside existing laws that the majority of Americans support and to prevent states from enacting protective measures in the future (more here). Obama promises as his number one prior to sign FOCA into law. [note: Americans United for Life (AUL), a pro-life law and policy organization, has prepared an analysis of the "Freedom of Choice Act". Sign the fight FOCA peition here.]
9. Supreme Court: Obama vows to nominate Supreme Court justices that support Roe v Wade. Obama voted against the highly qualified Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Samuel Alito.
10. Radical Pro-Abortion: Obama is the most pro-abortion President and rejects of the God-given intrinsic dignity of human life. Obama's only Harvard Law Review article took a pro-abortion stance.
11. Assault on Life: Immediately after his election, Barack Obama's assault on human life began with the identification of executive orders that could be reversed to support abortion and embryonic stem cell research. Barack Obama has confirmed that he will overturn a pro-life policy of President Bush on his first day in office and fund foreign abortions with US tax dollars. [visit the FRC to take action today]
There are many challenges ahead of us. NRLC has lots of resources to assist you. Be sure to invite your friends to subscribe to TN&V by going to http://www.nrlc.org/join_our_mailing_list.htm. Also encourage them to subscribe to National Right to Life News, "the pro-life newspaper of record," which can be done by clicking on http://www.nrlc.org/news/subscribe.html ,or calling 202-626-8828.