"On World AIDS Day, 12 Astounding Facts about AIDS in the U.S.
December 1 marks the annual observance of “World AIDS Day.” While we should rightfully mourn the passing of so many victims, let’s get real about what can be done to prevent future death and disability, not to mention the expenditure of billions of dollars.
In short, we need to recognize that HIV/AIDS is largely a male homosexual disease in the U.S., and it is highly preventable.
Here are some facts to consider:
1. Over 1 million people now have HIV in the U.S.(a)
2. Almost half of HIV cases (just under 500,000) are known to involve male homosexual behavior.(b) This is a highly conservative figure. Male- to- male sex is a contributing factor in other transmission categories as the Centers for Disease Control defines them. A more realistic actual figure is around 60-70%.
An estimated 300,000 males in the U.S. have died of AIDS as a result of male homosexual sex.(c)
3. In 2006, 53% of new HIV cases were attributed to MSM (males who have sex with males). Another 4% falls into the category of MSM plus IDU (injection drug use).(d) And many of the cases in the category of “high risk heterosexual” (31%) originate with the homosexual behavior of the partners of the heterosexuals who contract HIV. There are also cases classified as “unknown” in origin, and many of these are likely to involve MSM.
4. In certain states, the percentage relating to male homosexual sex is much higher:
- In California, at least 67% of HIV/AIDS cases are directly linked to male homosexual behavior, with another 9% involving the combined risks of MSM and IDU.(e)
- In Oregon, 66% of AIDS cases are attributable to male-to-male sex, with another 10% involving the combined risk factors of MSM and IDU.(f)
- In Ohio, 58% of AIDS cases are caused by male homosexual behavior, with another 6% transmitted through MSM and IDU.(g)
5. The number of cases involving men who have sex with men is increasing while other transmission categories remain stable or are declining.(h) Safe sex is not working. Homosexual men know about condoms, but they often don’t use them.
6. Between 2001 and 2006, HIV among teen and young adult males who have sex with males rose over 12 % per year. Let’s repeat that—in the age group 13 to 24 years of age, HIV rose over 12% per year for six years.(i) Teen boys encouraged to enter the ‘gay’ lifestyle, are being enabled to enter a world of danger. Affirming homosexual behavior in schools should be viewed in this light.
7. California, where a faction wants to legalize homosexual relationships as “marriage,” has experienced 69,000 HIV/AIDS deaths due to males who have sex with other males since the beginning of the epidemic. Allow us to repeat this number: 69,000 dead due to male homosexual sex in California alone.(j)
8. In California, nearly 62,000 people are now living with HIV or AIDS.(k) Applying the current trend that at least two-thirds of these cases result from MSM, that means approximately 41,000 infected males who have sex with males might be eligible to legitimize this epidemic through “marriage” if the California Supreme Court rules against the voters’ decision on Proposition 8.
9. We are spending $3 billion federal dollars annually in the U.S. on a disease that is largely preventable.(l)
10. As of the end of 2006, approximately 566,000 deaths have occurred among people with AIDS, including 14,627 in 2006.(m)
11. The lifetime medical cost for an HIV patient is around $600,000.(n)
12. The top five deadliest states to live in regarding AIDS are the District of Columbia, New York, Maryland, Florida, and Connecticut.(o)Conclusion: Does America benefit from male homosexual behavior? No. Along with unmarried heterosexual behavior,male homosexuality should be discouraged as much as possible to responsibly address the HIV/AIDS epidemic." (from Americans for Truth)
What I find interesting is that there are many anti-smoking campaigns - because smoking is dangerous for ones health. "The facts are that a US white male (USWM) cigarette smoker has an 8% lifetime chance of dying from lung cancer but the USWM nonsmoker also has a 1% chance of dying from lung cancer. ..You don't see this type of information being reported, and we hear things like, "if you smoke you will die"...
However the facts are that "between 13% and 23% (of homosexual males) have HIV/AIDS. ...This is how it's calculated -(click here) -This figure understates the percent of gay men who will become infected with HIV/AIDS, because many gay men who don't currently have it will become infected if they continue their lifestyle. I think it would be fair to approximate that a third of men who lead a gay lifestyle will become infected with HIV/AIDS."
Smokers have a lower risk of getting lung cancer than homosexual men do of getting AIDS/HIV, yet there is a huge campaign to stop people/teens from smoking, but no campaign to stop the promotion of homosexuality as a way to decrease HIV/AIDS. If any other activity, besides homosexual sex, led to such a high risk of infection of a deadly disease as this, there would be a huge campaign to get people to stop that activity. It would be made illegal, but ironically enough instead government, media, schools, corporations promote this activity.
Now why do I bring this up and blog about this topic? I think it is important to find out the truth and to learn what is actually happening if we honestly seek as a society to reduce HIV/AIDS.