Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Respect for the President??


All my life I have been taught by both my parents and my church to respect and follow our leaders.
An article of faith I was taught in my church was: "We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law."

The office of the President of the United States of America - the greatest country on earth - demands respect.
But what do you do, if you have an evil leader?
So how do you show respect for the office, but disdain for the person in that office?

What would I have done if I have lived in Germany in Hitler's day?
I like to think that I would have been one of the true Christians standing for truth and helping and hiding Jews because it was right thing to do - I can't imaging myself being one of the ones saying "Heil Hitler".
Yes, I do compare Obama with Hitler - he hasn't done what Hitler has yet- but I do think he is capable of it. Look how he has supported his cousin Odinga in the massacre of hundreds of innocent Christians who didn't support him. (click here and here and here and here and see video below for more info..) There are plenty of other examples - this is just one. Anyways, I digress


So, I am trying to figure this out. Of course - I will never hang signs on my car or house that say f*$# Obama - like the dems have so prominently displayed all over Portland about Bush. I think that is very rude and disrespectful.

But, I also can't lie to myself and say that I can respect him as our President, when I have absolutely no respect for Obama at all. I believe he has done too many evil things, has too many evil ideas, etc. How do you respect the office when someone who is in the office is evil?

So that is my question....
and I don't have an answer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know girl! I've been thinking on that and how to teach my kids about it. When u figure it out share!

k.linda said...

I happened upon your blog tonight in search of others views on this great tragedy our country is experiencing.

I, like so many of you, have also been in a state of mourning.

Something that has helped me, is knowing that our God is in control (always).

Dan 4:17 This matter [is] by the decree of the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones: to the intent that the living may know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of men.

Dan 2:21 And he changeth the times and the seasons: he removeth kings, and setteth up kings: he giveth wisdom unto the wise, and knowledge to them that know understanding.

Rom 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

Job 12:23 He increaseth the nations, and destroyeth them: he enlargeth the nations, and straiteneth them [again].

Job 12:24 He taketh away the heart of the chief of the people of the earth, and causeth them to wander in a wilderness [where there is] no way.

Job 12:25 They grope in the dark without light, and he maketh them to stagger like [a] drunken [man].

I hope this helps.